PHOTOREJUVENATION & PHOTOFACIALS (IPLS) (BBLs)
Photorejuvenation is a non-invasive treatment that delivers selective wavelengths of light to the skin to reduce the signs of aging, sun damage and rosacea. A series of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) or Broadband Light (BBL) sessions will get rid of fine wrinkles, sunspots and veins that can slowly appear over time. The result? Softer, firmer skin and a fresher, more youthful appearance.
IPL /BBL is an effective treatment for:
- Aging skin. It improves skin texture and tone and reduces mild wrinkles, unwanted veins, sunspots (lentigines), enlarged pores and surface irregularities.
- Acne-related marks such as dilated pores, mild scarring, and red macules. IPL offers an overall improvement in skin texture and tone for a softer, smoother complexion.
- Redness. It reduces redness of the face, neck and chest, including flushed and ruddy complexions and flushing and fine vessels in rosacea.
- Sun damage. It improves irregular pigmentation, fine wrinkles, and freckles from chronic sun exposure. The benefits aren’t limited to the face; the neck, chest, shoulders, back, hands and forearms can also be rejuvenated.
- Dark circles under the eyes.
- Overall dull complexion.
- Traumatic and surgical scars.
- Age spots, and pigmented lesions.
IPL/BBL is a chemical-free treatment that’s ideal for patients with sensitive skin.
Contact us for more information or to book a consultation with Dr. Nield.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and Broad Band Light(BBL) use broad-spectrum light, which filters out unwanted harmful wavelengths. The selected wavelengths penetrate the skin without disrupting it. The light is then absorbed by any red, abnormally dilated vessels and excess, brown pigmentation. The skin’s immune system is stimulated to absorb the excess red flushing and blood vessels and slough off the brown spots. The light energy also stimulates new collagen formation, resulting in a more even complexion with improved texture and fewer wrinkles.
The light energy delivered by IPLS/BBLs will gently heat the upper layers of your skin. The heat absorbed by the targeted areas will stimulate your skin cells to regenerate. These light waves reach deep into your skin cells, activating certain genes associated with youth, while turning off other genes associated with aging. As a result, new skin cells are programmed to develop, giving you more beautiful, youthful skin. Studies have shown that regular treatments have been shown to reduce the aging process, allowing patients to maintaining their youthful glow.
In summary, IPLS/BBLs not only are useful to correct sun damaged skin, riding your skin of sun spots and vessels and redness, but also reduces the aging process over time, improving your complexion so that over the years, you will have less wrinkles and have a more youthful complexion.
We use the Coherent VasculightTM technology which has 5 laser systems in one and allows us to individualize each treatment according to each patient’s skin type and lesions being treated. Dr. Nield was the first dermatologist in Vaughan to offer photorejuvenation and has years of experience with IPL technology.
We also have recently added the Sciton BBL BroadBand Light System to our clinic. This sophisticated technology will also flip the genetic switch to create younger looking skin. It is also known as Forever Young BBL.
You arrive with a clean face and no makeup or moisturizers. You must not have a tan or be wearing any self-tanning products. You put on protective goggles to shield your eyes from the bright light, your face is cleansed, and a cool gel is applied to the area to be treated. The pulse is accompanied by a bright flash that can sting slightly but is tolerable. Our BBL unit has a cooling tip to make the treatment even more comfortable. It also has attachments that make it easier to treat larger body areas, faster. A treatment takes 15 to 45 minutes, depending on the area being treated. At the end of the session, the gel is removed, and sunblock is applied.
You may experience some discomfort. We apply a cool gel to the skin, but you may experience a burning sensation with each pulse of light. Our Sciton BBL has a cooling tip to increase comfort. Most patients do not require numbing creams, but they can be used if needed.
Your skin may be red for a few hours. Brown spots will appear darker, but they will flake off in 3 to 5 days. On rare occasions, some bruising may occur if you have large vessels or markedly red cheeks. Most patients apply sun block and immediately resume their normal activities. If you have a history of facial cold sores, Dr. Nield will prescribe appropriate antiviral medication as light can activate a herpes simplex outbreak in susceptible individuals.
We’ve seen the best results with 5 treatments, spaced every 3 to 4 weeks. Maintenance treatments are recommended, usually once or twice a year as new red and brown lesions can appear with time. Studies have shown that Forever Young BBL should be done 2 times per year to stop the aging process and optimize your results.
In the first phase (which occurs after the second treatment), you will see a noticeable improvement in texture and tone, and your skin will be smoother and softer. After the fourth or fifth treatment, you’ll notice a reduction in fine wrinkles and improved skin colour. Facial veins generally take 3-5 sessions to resolve. Using other rejuvenating products and procedures offered by Dr. Nield will ensure long- lasting results.
Forever Young BBL treatments will make your skin look younger by doing at least two sessions per year.
If you have severe wrinkles, you may need a more assertive treatment program – a consultation with Dr. Nield will provide all the details.
Every cosmetic skin laser or light procedure involves a small degree of risk. Although they are very uncommon, it is important that you understand the risks involved. They include:
- Skin wounds. Occasionally, a blister or wound can form, which will take 5-10 days to heal, and may leave a light or dark area or a scar.
- Pigment change. With photofacials, there is a very small risk of either darkening or lightening of the skin. These effects are usually temporary. To avoid it, please ensure that you do not tan or using tanning creams before your treatment. Tanning increases your chance of developing a colour change.
- Infection. Though rare, infection is possible any time a skin procedure is performed. If you are prone to cold sores, you could get a cold sore (herpes simplex virus). Antiviral agents will be prescribed to prevent a cold sore outbreak.
Yes. Photorejuvenation can be easily combined with other anti-aging procedures to create an even more revitalizing effect. You can combine it Botox®/Xeomin®, Dermal Fillers such as Belotero or Radiesse and chemical peels, microdermabrasion, facial rejuvenation/mesotherapy and Ultherapy. Skin Care Products can also be recommended to enhance your overall appearance.
We’re happy to answer any questions or provide you with additional detail. Please download our consent form here: