PHOTOREJUVENATION & PHOTOFACIALS (IPLS)
Photorejuvenation is a non-invasive treatment that delivers selective wavelengths of light to the skin to reduce the signs of aging, sun damage and rosacea. A series of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) sessions will get rid of fine wrinkles, sunspots and veins that can slowly appear over time. The result? Softer, firmer skin and a fresher, more youthful appearance.
IPL is an effective treatment for:
- Aging skin. It improves skin texture and tone and reduces mild wrinkles, unwanted veins, sunspots (lentigines), enlarged pores and surface irregularities.
- Acne-related marks such as dilated pores, mild scarring, and red macules. IPL offers an overall improvement in skin texture and tone for a softer, smoother complexion.
- Redness. It reduces redness of the face, neck and chest, including flushed and ruddy complexions and flushing and fine vessels in rosacea.
- Sun damage. It improves irregular pigmentation, fine wrinkles, and freckles from chronic sun exposure. The benefits aren’t limited to the face; the neck, chest, shoulders, back, hands and forearms can also be rejuvenated.
- Dark circles under the eyes.
- Overall dull complexion.
- Traumatic and surgical scars.
- Age spots, acne scars and pigmented lesions.
IPL is a chemical-free treatment that’s ideal for patients with sensitive skin.
Contact us for more information or to book a consultation with Dr. Nield.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) uses broad-spectrum light, which filters out unwanted harmful wavelengths. The selected wavelengths penetrate the skin without disrupting it. The light is then absorbed by any red, abnormally dilated vessels and excess, brown pigmentation. The skin’s immune system is stimulated to absorb the excess red flushing and blood vessels and slough off the brown spots. The light energy also stimulates new collagen formation, resulting in a more even complexion with improved texture and fewer wrinkles.
You arrive with a clean face and no makeup or moisturizers. You must not have a tan or be wearing any self-tanning products. You put on protective goggles to shield your eyes from the bright light, your face is cleansed, and a cool gel is applied to the area to be treated. The pulse is accompanied by a bright flash that can sting slightly but is tolerable. A treatment takes 15 to 45 minutes, depending on the area being treated. At the end of the session, the gel is removed, and sunblock is applied.
You may experience some discomfort. We apply a cool gel to the skin, but you may experience a burning sensation with each pulse of light. Most patients do not require numbing creams, but they can be used if you need them.
Your skin may be red for a few hours. Brown spots will appear darker, but they will flake off in 3 to 5 days. On rare occasions, some bruising may occur if you have large vessels or markedly red cheeks. Most patients apply sun block and immediately resume their normal activities. If you have a history of facial cold sores, Dr. Nield will prescribe appropriate antiviral medication as light can activate a herpes simplex outbreak in susceptible individuals.
We’ve seen the best results with 5 treatments, spaced every 3 to 4 weeks. Maintenance treatments are recommended, usually once or twice a year as new red and brown lesions can appear with time.
In the first phase (which occurs after the second treatment), you will see a noticeable improvement in texture and tone, and your skin will be smoother and softer. After the fourth or fifth treatment, you’ll notice a reduction in fine wrinkles and improved skin colour. Facial veins generally take 3-5 sessions to resolve. Using other rejuvenating products and procedures offered by Dr. Nield will ensure long- lasting results.
If you have severe wrinkles or scars, you may need a more assertive treatment program – a consultation with Dr. Nield will provide all the details.
Every cosmetic skin laser or light procedure involves a small degree of risk. Although they are very uncommon, it is important that you understand the risks involved. They include:
- Skin wounds. Occasionally, a blister or wound can form, which will take 5-10 days to heal, and may leave a light or dark area or a scar.
- Pigment change. With photofacials, there is a very small risk of either darkening or lightening of the skin. These effects are usually temporary. To avoid it, please ensure that you do not tan or using tanning creams before your treatment. Tanning increases your chance of developing a colour change.
- Infection. Though rare, infection is possible any time a skin procedure is performed. If you are prone to cold sores, you could get a cold sore (herpes simplex virus). Antiviral agents will be prescribed to prevent a cold sore outbreak.
Yes. Photorejuvenation can be easily combined with other anti-aging procedures to create an even more revitalizing effect. You can combine it Botox®/Xeomin®, Dermal Fillers such as Belotero or Radiesse and chemical peels, microdermabrasion, facial rejuvenation/mesotherapy. Skin Care Products can also be recommended to enhance your overall appearance.
We’re happy to answer any questions or provide you with additional detail. Please download our consent form here: